Sunday, January 16, 2011

DCFA Ruminations

Although I finished reading the books a few days ago, I thought I would use this post to address an issue that has already crept up after dissecting two books on the Banned List which is the heavy weight of religion in the two books so far. To be blunt, it's been a pretty downer and a literature killer in my opinion. To dwell on the minutia of Christian factions is arduous for this reader. It almost makes me question whether religion has a place at all as a main focal point in literature. Because in DCFA it effectively stunted any growth or movement in the story. The plot never got off the ground and there was no development to any of the characters. The book was one dimensional religious gossip, and it was more about the observance of the faith than the story itself. And that isn't the goal of literature. Books no matter how old and devoted to a specific period in time are supposed pull readers out of reality and put them in another environment, surprise them, shock them, evoke some kind of emotion. DCFA created an antipathy in me. A yeah-so-what response. As in yeah, some priests are corrupt, using parish tithes for personal and material gain but so what? The book created no kind of moral concern in me, I found it inconsequential as I found the book in its entirety. The entire book, to me, could be summed up sufficiently in a elementary school shoebox diorama.

Next post will wrap DCFA briefly as the book is banal. I plan to select a more socially relevant book next.

No comments:

Post a Comment